Carien | Online psychologist
✓ I also offer online therapy
Leave a message and I will contact you as soon as possible.
I'm currently unavailable.
Please contact another online therapist on this website.
My name is Carien Lubbe-De Beer. I have been working as a psychologist since 2000.
As an online psychologist I am excited by the possibility that online therapy can foster hope, promote inner healing and enable a sense of enhanced well-being.
Big words which basically means that when life gets too much, or you’re concerned about your child, or a whanau member that you love, then therapy might be an option.
It gives me great joy to work from a solution focused perspective, where the focus is on strengths and resources to support new options and strategies.
Types of issues I can help with include anger management, anxiety, depression, grief, phobia, relationship problems, stress and trauma.
A safe, supportive and nurturing space
The aim of therapy for me is to create a safe, supportive and nurturing space where individuals can heal, connect with their inner selves and ultimately live more optimal and meaningful lives.
In my work with children who experience difficulties in their emotional, social and behavioural development, I utilise sand play therapy and directive play therapy, as well as attachment-based work with young kids and their parents (Theraplay).
With adult clients and adolescents, I incorporate various modalities as it suits the client and context e.g. person centered, gestalt, transactional analysis, cognitive behaviour therapy, solution-focused brief therapy, mindfulness, somatic experiencing and so forth.
I hold a PhD in Educational Psychology and was a professor at the University of Pretoria before moving to New Zealand. I am a registered psychologist with the New Zealand Board for Psychologists.
If you want to know more or make an appointment, feel free to send me a message.
Online psychologist - online therapy - online couples therapy
Qualifications and registrations
- New Zealand Board for Psychology: NZPB Reg no 90-06379
- The New Zealand Psychological Society: Member no 10409
Education / Qualifications
- 2005 Ph.D. in Educational Psychology, University of Pretoria, South Africa
- 1999 Master in Educational Psychology (MEd), University of Pretoria, South Africa
- 1997 Bachelor in Psychology (BEd), University of Pretoria, South Africa (cum laude)
- 1993 Bachelor of Arts (BA Ed School guidance), University of Pretoria, South Africa (cum laude)
Other workshops and trainings
- 2019: Somatic Experiencing for Trauma Level I/II (SE Australia)
- 2019: Therapeutic Toolbox (Dr Karen Treisman)
- 2018: Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- 2018: Anxiety (Dr Karen Young)
- 2018: Lego Based Therapy approaches
- 2018: Occupational coaching
- 2018: Solution Focused Brief Therapy: 101 questions (5 modules)
- 2017: Positive Psychology Practitioners Toolkit (3 modules)
- 2017: The learning brain
- 2017: Wellbeing and Resilience: Positive Psychology & Positive Education
- 2017: Resistant & Reluctant clients (10 modules)
- 2016: Attachment & Interactional Analysis
- 2015: Psychotherapy Summit 2.0 Somatic Experiencing (15 modules)
- 2015: Theraplay Level -One Training and Marschak Interaction Method Skills Development
- 2015: Fundamental Intensive Training in Medical Hypnoanalysis
- 2015: Stark Griffin Dyslexia Accreditation training
- 2015: Somatic Experiencing for Trauma Level I/II
- 2014: Trauma, the brain and Sandplay
- 2014: Career construction counselling for life designing
- 2013: Creative Expressive Art Therapy: Symposium
- 2012: Explore your Creative Self Workshop
- 2011-2012: Tow Year Intensive Sandplay Training: Dora Kalff tradition
- 2011: Expressive Advance Play Therapy
- 2011: Sandplay Work
- 2009: Fundamentals of Energy Psychology, with E Kaufmann-Thomassen
- 2009: Short Term Therapy Techniques with Oppositional and Defiant Children & Adolescents
- 2008: Play Therapy
- 2001 – current: Psychologist – Private practice
- 4 July 2016 – February 2020: Psychologist - Ministry of Education, Auckland & Tauranga
- Jan – June 2016: Professor - University of South Africa (UNISA), Department of Psychology of Education, School of Educational Studies, College of Education, Pretoria
- 2013 – 2015: Associate Professor - University of Pretoria, Faculty of Education, Department of Educational Psychology, Pretoria
- 2009 – 2012: Senior Lecturer - University of Pretoria, Faculty of Education, Department of Educational Psychology, Pretoria
- 2003 – 2008: Permanent Full-time Lecturer - University of Pretoria, Faculty of Education, Department of Educational Psychology, Pretoria
- 2002: Temporary Full-time Lecturer - University of Pretoria, Faculty of Education, Department of Educational Psychology, Pretoria
- 2000: Intern Educational Psychologist (Child Guidance Clinic, University of Pretoria)
- 1994 – 1999 Teacher - Die Wilgers High school, Pretoria, Gauteng, Department of Education
Sexuality and gender issues
I am an expert on sexuality and gender issues, specifically lesbian/ gay parent families.
The latter comes from my research focus as I have been a faculty member of the University of Pretoria, South Africa from 2002 – 2015.
I completed my PhD in 2005 on the Experiences of Children Growing up in Same-gendered Families and subsequently published in this field.
As professor I served on the Board of Psychology for the Health Professionals Council of South Africa, chaired the Gender and Sexuality Division of the Psychological Society of South Africa, and represented the society on the International Psychology Network for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex Issues.
- ✓ ACC Counselling
- ✓ Child counselling
- ✓ Cognitive behavioural therapy
- ✓ Counselling
- ✓ Couples counselling
- ✓ Gestalttherapy
- ✓ Mindfulness
- ✓ Narrative Therapy
- ✓ Online counselling
- ✓ Psychotherapy
- ✓ Relationship Counselling
- ✓ Solution focused therapy
Areas of counselling I can help with
- ✓ Abuse
- ✓ Addiction
- ✓ Anger management
- ✓ Anxiety
- ✓ Being a perfectionist
- ✓ Being assertive
- ✓ Bereavement, grief, loss
- ✓ Body image
- ✓ Bullying
- ✓ Burnout
- ✓ Communication
- ✓ Self confidence
- ✓ Depression
- ✓ Eating disorders
- ✓ Fear
- ✓ Feeling lonely
- ✓ Hyperventilation
- ✓ Insecurity
- ✓ Jealousy
- ✓ Low self esteem
- ✓ Obsessive compulsive disorder
- ✓ Panic attack
- ✓ Parenting
- ✓ Performance anxiety
- ✓ Phobia
- ✓ Post-traumatic stress disorder
- ✓ Relationship issues
- ✓ Sleep problems
- ✓ Social phobia
- ✓ Stress
- ✓ Trauma
- ✓ Workplace stress
- ✓ Worrying too much
- Online individuals: $180 (session = 50-55minutes)
- Online couples: $220 (session = 50-55minutes)
- ✓ 50+ Counsellors
- ✓ In New Zealand
- ✓ Face-to-face & Online
| Disclaimer | Reviews | Login | Privacy |