Dr. Wilme Steenekamp | Psychologist - Counselling - Couples Therapy
|38 Galway Avenue - Hamilton East
|Send a message|
✓ I also offer online therapy
Leave a message and I will contact you as soon as possible.
Psychologist Hamilton NZ - Counselling & Couples Therapy
Currently I have a two month waiting list.
For an earlier appointment, please contact another therapist on this website.
My name is Wilme Steenekamp, psychologist and couples therapist.
Life can be overwhelming and complicated. We don’t always know how to go forward and tend to become stuck in traumatic experiences and unhelpful ways of thinking and behaviour patterns.
In psychological therapy, I can apply a variety of skills, knowledge and experience within a confidential and trusting relationship. Doing this, I can facilitate your process of exploring, understanding and validating yourself and help you find useful ways of changing your way of thinking, relating to others and behaving. The therapeutic relationship can be a catalyst for constructive change.
My approach is centred around building a therapeutic relationship with my client within which there is resonance and connectedness. I use a wide range of therapeutic approaches in an eclectic manner.
You're welcome for therapy and (couples) counselling in Hamilton.
I use what works well in your case. I am able to use Zoom, Skype and Whatsapp video call. Zoom appears to be the most stable.
We start off by setting up a confidential and safe space, making sure that we have a back up way of staying connected if connection should drop. We make sure that we can hear and see each other well.Then we use the appointment time and space.
This options is an excellent option if face to face is not practical for any specific reason.
Statement concerning the coronavirus pandemic
COVID-19 NOITCE: It is very important to not disrupt therapy or delay to start. I am continuing with providing therapy in these ways:
1) In my office in Hamilton East.I stay at a distance, do not shake hands. I wipe surfaces touched regularly. If needed, I provided wipes, tissues and a bin to dispose of these.
2) I am used to doing, and well set up to do Zoom, Skype, Whatsapp or telephonic sessions.
3) I communicate with clients ASAP if any of the conditions change on a daily basis.
Qualifications and registrations
- I trained firstly as a Medical Practitioner (MBChB) in South Africa and worked as a GP for more than 30 years.
- Also trained as a Clinical Psychologist (also trained in South Africa).
- Certified Somatic Experiencing Practitioner (International training).
- Certificate in counseling at UNISA, courses in CBT, Hypnotherapy, Psycho-analysis, a Masters degree in Clinical Psychology, Sexology, Emotionally Focussed theapy & others.
- I have been in private practice for 20 years, doing both clinical work, psychotherapy, relationship therapy, group therapy, family therapy & presenting workshops to a variety of groups on a variety of subjects.
Fields of special interest:
- How childhood emotional and physical trauma and developmental events impact on adult behaviour and patterns. Insight helps us to get unstuck and re-wrtie our behaviour patterns.
- Loss (death – and non-death related)
- Individual growth
- Relationship problems
- Emotional impact of physical illness / procedures / injury
- Depression in males
- ASD coaching and therapy
Areas of counselling I can help with
- ✓ Abuse
- ✓ Addiction
- ✓ Anger management
- ✓ Anxiety
- ✓ Being a perfectionist
- ✓ Being assertive
- ✓ Bereavement, grief, loss
- ✓ Bullying
- ✓ Burnout
- ✓ Communication
- ✓ Self confidence
- ✓ Covid-19 Anxiety
- ✓ Depression
- ✓ Eating disorders
- ✓ Fear
- ✓ Feeling lonely
- ✓ Hyperventilation
- ✓ Insecurity
- ✓ Jealousy
- ✓ Low self esteem
- ✓ Obsessive compulsive disorder
- ✓ Panic attack
- ✓ Parenting
- ✓ Performance anxiety
- ✓ Phobia
- ✓ Post-traumatic stress disorder
- ✓ Relationship issues
- ✓ Sleep problems
- ✓ Social phobia
- ✓ Stress
- ✓ Trauma
- ✓ Workplace stress
- ✓ Worrying too much
$150 per session
Availability (Opening hours)
|Monday||5 pm - 8 pm|
|Tuesday||5 pm - 8 pm|
|Wednesday||5 pm - 8 pm|
|Thursday||5 pm - 8 pm|
|Friday||5 pm - 8 pm|
|Saturday||8 am - 1 pm|
InterviewRead the interview with Dr. Wilme Steenekamp below.
Always, always learning more and more about humans and their brains, minds, emotions and behaviour.
- ✓ 50+ Counsellors
- ✓ In New Zealand
- ✓ Face-to-face & Online
| Disclaimer | Reviews | Login | Privacy |